Friday, July 25, 2008

The Day After

Today wasn't too bad. We saw Dark Knight at Storm Cinema, VIP seats again. We were 25 minutes late but STILL caught 5 minutes into the trailer. Can you believe that? I wouldn't say it was the best movie I've ever seen but Christian Bale is too hot. Heath Ledger as the joker did a fine performance (too bad it was his last).

After the movie, our original plan was to go to La Tasca and have Spanish tapas. We noticed how empty it was and went to the Red Panda instead. We learned quickly after the Giraffe incident...Empty restaurant = sucky restaurant. Craig had been boasting about the Honey Chili Chicken for some time so I was anxious to try it. Although the place was packed, we were seated right away and we didn't even have a reservation. Service was prompt. In addition to the Honey Chili Chicken, we also ordered Sui Mai for appetizer and Mongolian Beef as the other entree. Mongolian Beef was out of this world. It's the best Chinese food I've had in Belfast, I must say. The Honey Chili chicken was sweet but had a mild spicy kick to it. Chicken was juicy and moist. The beef was tender and the sauce was gorgeous. Craig wanted to appear all cultural and civilized, so he ordered green tea. The Chinese waitress gave him a talking to and said they don't have green tea but the Chinese tea (meaning green tea is Japanese). She came out with a tall mug of steaming hot water with a ball of green prickly stuff. The prickly stuff started to unravel and bloom into a beautiful flower. It was neat!!!



Food: 3 1/2
Customer Service: 4
Atmosphere: 2 If it weren't for the blaring ABBA music, I'd give it a 3.

I was craving for a chocolate sundae with a cherry on top. So we went downstairs to the American Diner and guess what? IT WAS CLOSED!!! I was just about going to lose it. My eyes were going to well up in tears but I held back. It was 9PM and Craig didn't know where else to get a sundae so we just took the taxi back to stranmillis and had chocolate cake and milkshakes. I was picking at my chocolate cake and Craig said, "You don't look to happy. Are you sure you're going to last six weeks?". I just sighed and frowned.

I went to Centra to get some junk to stuff my pathetic face. Craig hobbled back to the house. We planned to have a pity party fest and watch cheesey romantic movies. Tonight he was going to be my girlfriend and consoling shoulder. Everything started to become a disaster again. Him hobbling up and down the stairs to the bathroom cuz he has the runs (must be the milkshake). I gave him a fright while I was getting glasses out of the cabinet. I dropped a glass and it smashed to the floor. I was like just great, my nerves are hanging on by a thread here. I wanted to burst out crying. I sweept the glass and headed back upstairs. Here is Craig again hobbling up from the bathroom. He's out of breath and sweating like a racing snake. He just stood there looking at me trying to catch his breath. I asked if he was ok. He held out his arms and told me to give him a cuddle and he said, "I appreciate everything you've done for me these past few months, and what you've sacrificed to get here. I know I've ruined your trip and I'm sorry. I want to spend the rest of my life making it up to you. You are special to me and I love you with all my heart. Will you marry me?" He reaches into his pocket and takes out a gorgeous ring. I say, YES! and he puts it on my finger. A perfect fit! I love it. I love him more than anything. Even though it has been shitty most of the time due to outside circumstances, it was all worth it because we have each other. I'm actually grateful for all these shitty events because it made everything else all that special and I am confident we can handle anything that comes our way with laughter and a smile (even though sometimes it can be hard, we are there for each other and that's all that matters). I know it's not the grand romantic storybook fairytale. No trips to exotic places and proposing in front of an island sunset. No fanfare. Just simple and real in our wee room in South Belfast. I couldn't have asked for anything farther from perfect.

A ruby (my birthstone)encircled with diamonds (his birthstone) represents me being the center of his life and his continous loyalty and love for me.

3 comments:

Joanne said...

How wonderful and what a throughtful; romantic ring; just beautiful. If you ever head back this way I'll have to share my story which was so not romantic in the least. I'm super happy for you guys!!!

Flippin' Yank said...

Thank you! I'm still doing the happy dance!

sloan said...

Congratulations!! I am so happy for you both!

Celebratory drink, mayhaps?